Country of Thailand
Thailand is a country of over 68 million people and is the world's 50th largest country by total area. The predominate language is Thai, with some English speakers. The gluten free awareness is low so it is strongly recommended to bring a GF travel card in Thai. Note that not all vendors may be able to read Thai or English – but will usually ask a friend. Don’t be discouraged if a restaurant is not comfortable feeding you, just continue on to the next one. Don’t be afraid to change restaurants if they are not comfortable feeding you or that you get the sense they don’t understand. One helpful tip is to bring or purchase your own GF soya sauce.
Dining / Restaurants
Below are restaurants in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket that have gluten free options
- (+66-2-679-1200, 21/100 South Sathon Road) The hotel has GF bread, cakes and cookies and with prior notice can accommodate a GF meal at one of their restaurants.
- (+66 2 663 4970, 6/5-6 Soi Sukhumvit 22, Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei) is an Italian restaurant and pizzeria that provides selected Gluten free options on weekdays.
- (+66-93-291-9361, 19 Wua Lai 2 Alley) is a 100% gluten free resturant / garden with authentic Thai food.
is a coffee shop with a dedicated gluten-free kitchen specializing in breakfasts, lunches, cakes, and pies. There are three locations:
- Rawai (+66 92 516 4021 5/61, Moo Viset Rd, Rawai, Muang)
- Soi Ta-iead (+66 92 516 4021, 45/40 Moo 1 Soi Ta-iead, Chalong, Muang)
- Headstart International School (+66 76 612 875 EXT. 6, 39/99 Moo 4 Vichitsongkram Rd., Soi Na Seau, Vichit, Muang)
Markets / Local Food Stands
Some gluten free food available at markets or street vendors includes:
- Fruit and vegetables (pineapple, watermelon, coconut are popular)
- Mango sticky rice
- Sticky rice topped with coconut cream and served in little squares or banana leaf
- Sticky rice in bamboo
- Coconut pudding /custard
- Bananas boiled in coconut milk
- Cantaloupe sago
- Smoothies (be careful if the stand also sells smoothies with gluten containing ingredients such as oreos - the blenders are not often thoroughly washed).
Villa Market is a supermarket that has a number of imported gluten free products including a gluten-free soya sauce brand called Megachef.
- (33/4 Soi Sukhumvit 19, Sukhumvit Rd) is a specialty grocer that has gluten free products such as pasta, cookies, cereal, flour, cake mixes, and bread mixes.
7/11 and a number of other corner stores have naturally gluten free products such as:
- Some variety of chips